Adventure Quest LA Rules
Adventure Quest LA is done entirely on foot within a defined area. Be prepared to be on your feet for 2-3 hours. This is not a marathon or foot race - no running is required!
• No special skills or abilities are required. You should be able to think and act quickly, and work well together as a team.
• Teams can be 2 to 4 players.
• Be in position at least 10 minutes before the starting time. You'll receive a Zoom link by email, which you should forward to everyone on your team (or you can all use one device). At the designated starting time, we'll meet you virtually on Zoom to review the rules. Then we'll email each team their clue packet and electronic scoresheet. We'll have a staff person on-site somewhere within the Quest boundaries, so if you have any technical issues, you can pick up a hard copy of the clues or scoresheet from them.
• At least one member of each team must have an internet-connected mobile device, capable of receiving email and connecting to Zoom.
Wifi will also be available at multiple locations within the Quest boundaries.
If your team arrives more than 10 minutes late, you might not be able to participate.
• Adventure Quest LA will be held rain or shine.
• Registration fees are non-refundable. However, if one of your team members needs to cancel after you've registered, you may replace them with another player.
• If you need to change your event date after you've registered, we can move you to a different day (if space is available), provided you notify us at least 48 hours in advance of your original date & time.
• You're free to bring any materials with you that you think might be helpful. At the very least, you will need a pen!
• Team members must travel together at all times and may not split up or separate during the hunt.
• Complete your clues in any order you like. Clues will require brainpower, teamwork and strategy to solve: you might need to crack codes, solve challenging word or number puzzles, navigate with maps, research little-known facts, and more.
• You receive points for each correct answer, as well as any bonus points you've earned. Bonus points might be photos, videos, objects you collect, or other surprises.
• When you've finished, you'll submit your scoresheet electronically. We use Google Forms, which is easy to use and submit. The team that finishes with the highest number of points is the winner. If two teams have the same score, the team that finished earlier is the winner. Teams that finish late will receive a penalty of minus 5 points for each five minutes they are late.
• Answers to all clues will be provided during the Zoom session at the end of the quest. We'll also announce the scores - and the winners!
Adventure Quest LA FAQ
What's the difference between Adventure Quest LA and Race/LA?
We hold two different types of events:
Race/LA, held once or twice yearly, is a day-long, citywide event for teams of two, based loosely on The Amazing Race.
Adventure Quest LA is a 3-hour, neighborhood specific clue-solving hunt for teams of 2 to 4 and are held throughout the year.
Adventure Quest clues focus on using brainpower, research and puzzle-solving skills whereas the clues in Race/LA often involve more navigation around the city and physical activities.
For more information about Race/LA, go here.
Did this used to be called CityRace?
Yes, we've been holding these events since 2008! Up to this year, they were called CityRace Urban Adventure Hunts.
Do you accept walk-ins on the day of the hunt?
No, advance registration is required for all events.
Can I change my date after I've registered?
Sure, as long as you notify us at least 48 hours in advance of your original event date & time.
Do you hold events in other cities?
In addition to our LA area events, we have events throughout southern California - from Laguna to Santa Barbara to Riverside.
How familiar with the area do I need to be?
You don't need to be familiar with the area at all. Even if you are, we guarantee you'll discover things you've never seen before!
How long is Adventure Quest LA?
Three hours, plus about 20 minutes at the end when the scores and winners are announced.
If I do the same race again, will the clues be different?
No, the clues do not change. Sign up for a different race next time - otherwise you'll be answering the same questions again!
Can children participate?
Yes, but these hunts are designed primarily for adults, so some children might find the clues to be too difficult, or lack the patience and stamina for a 3-hour hunt.
Do we need to run?
Not at all! Most teams walk briskly, with many starts and stops.
Can you create private races and special events?
Yes. More information is available here.